Experience with eJabberd

Posted on May 18th, 2007 in General by Brandon

I spent a couple hours today trying to install a jabber server called ‘ejabberd‘. The latest release was version 1.1.3, so of course I downloaded and installed that. The program came as a Linux binary installation, so I just ran that and it seemed to install okay. The program even started up just fine, and it looked like everything was working. I had a little snag when trying to login to the web interface the first time. The installation program asked for an admin password, but evidently didn’t set it. I had to set the password on my own, but then was able to log in to the admin web interface okay. Then I created a user account to log in as, and it went downhill from there

ejabberd is written in a high level language called Erlang. Evidently there is some problem in the version of Erlang that the binary installation includes. It has some problems with the cryptography functions. I spent a couple hours searching the ejabberd forums, and the posts that they referenced on the erlang development forums. After much wasted time, and serveral attempts at compiling erlang separately I was about to give up.

Then, I noticed a link for previous versions of ejabberd on their downloads page and decided to give version 1.0.0 a shot. I downloaded, installed, and had it running in under ten minutes. I guess sometimes older is better.

One Response to 'Experience with eJabberd'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Experience with eJabberd'.


  1. on June 28th, 2007 at 4:39 am

    Hello Brandon,

    We are working on fixing the installer on some distributions.
    You can participate to the various tests here:
    https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-250

    Thank you for your help !

Post a comment

Please copy the string vYy4q4 to the field below: